Adjust font-size


Who is allowed to sublet?

Anyone who has a first-hand contract with us and is unable to use their flat or single room is entitled to sublet their flat or room for a short period. There is an exception. If you rent a single room, you are not allowed to sublet your single room during the summer. Partly because it is too short period to approve a subletting but also the fact that during the summer June and July are rent-free months.

To be allowed to sublet you must also have a particular reason such as a break in your studies, temporary employment in some other district or studies in some other district.

How do I get permission?

You must send us a written application including a certificate from for instance the employer or admission letter from concerend University. You can find the application form on our website, in our office at Östra Kyrkogatan 2 or at your Area Landlord.

To be able to download our application form you must have Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. Download the program from Adobe for free!

Who can I sublet to?

You are only allowed to sublet to someone who does not already have a contract at Bostaden. In that case he or she has to cancel that contract.

The person who wants to sublet has to find a tenant on their own and also arrange the practical details such as signing a contract. Those forms can be bought in a bookshop.

If you rent a single room or a student apartment, the subletting tenant must be an active student at Umeå University or SLU in Umeå.

Who is legally responsible for the flat?

As our tenant, you are responsible for the flat during the subletting period. You have to make sure that the rent is paid on time and if the subletting tenant behave badly you might be evicted. We therefore recommend you to choose direct debit (autogiro), in that way you can be certain that the rent is paid on time. You and the subletting tenant can then arrange how to handle the payments between the two of you.

Can the subletting tenant take over the contract?

The subletting tenant has no right to take over the flat. If the original tenant does not move back in, the contract is to be cancelled according to current terms and conditions.

Some advice:

  • Make sure to choose a tenant you trust.
  • Tell Bostaden if you change tenants.
  • Tell Bostaden when you move back into your flat or room.

If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact Customer Service Centre/Rentals at 090-17 77 00.



My personal page

Registration possible from the year you turn 16 years


Telephone exchange

Phone: 090-17 75 00

Area Landlords

Contact list

Customer Service Centre

E-mail: Kundcenter
Phone: 090-17 77 00

Phone hours, Customer Service Centre

Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9 am–3 pm
Tuesday, Thursday 9 am-12 noon
Closed 12 noon–1 pm

Visiting hours

Monday–Thursday 9 am–4.30pm
Fridays 9 am–3 pm
Closed 12 noon–1 pm


Visit: Östra Kyrkogatan 2,
Moritzska gården
Mail: Box 244, 901 06 Umeå.

Broadband support

090-17 77 17

Emergency number

If serious faults occur after office hours or during weekends, please call 090-14 26 10.

In the event of fire, accidents or burglary, please call 112.

To receive or give information regarding accidents or crises, please call 113 13